Friday, July 13, 2012

Don't rain on my f&#@ing parade: THE Barbra Streisand in Funny Girl

I feel like the piece of information I am about to disclose is going to reveal a lot about who I am as a person, what I believe, what I love, what I fear, what kind of Pandora stations I listen to, what kind of deodorant I wear. Wait...which one doesn't fit?

But, on the real, the next sentence is pretty telling of me as a person. Drum roll please. Funny Girl the movie musical with Barbra Streisand and Omar Sharif is most certainly, confidently placed in the top tier of my favorite movie strata. Quick thought, how much WORSE would this movie be if they had decided to spell "girl" "gurl"? Like why does that spelling even exist? Funny Girl is in a word, divine. It is sort of like a spiritual experience when I view it.



I have no idea if anyone reading this has seen this movie because I obviously think it is a total classic, but find people who are like "What is Funny Girl? Is it like Factory Girl that movie with Sienna Miller?" Actually NO ONE has ever asked me that because I am pretty sure that not many people would reference the movie Factory Girl in which Sienna Miller plays 60's socialite Edie Sedgwick and Hayden Christensen plays some musician that is based on Bob Dylan. Says the girl who seems to know an awful lot about the plot line of said movie. I've seen it. Maybe movies with "girl" in the title are my thing?

Ah I digress. The point I am trying to make is that I am usually surprised by the answers I get when I ask people if they have ever seen Funny Girl because either people have never heard of it, or have seen it, or love it. Which I guess is a normal variety of answers, so what is the point I am making?

THE POINT HERE PEOPLE IS THAT THIS MOVIE IS EXTRAORDINARY. I advise any functioning member of society to sit down for all 150 minutes of the pure brilliance that is Funny Girl. I mean there is a 5 minute black screen, orchestra music intro and a 30 second intermission break (What can one do in a 30 second intermission? Think about going to the bathroom? Pick at a cuticle? Nothing too extensive) in a movie! I fast forward these parts because, ummm it's boring.

I love this


I understand there are a lot of Barbra Streisand haters out there. To these people I say, how is that possible? Or are you judging her solely on the size of her nose? Also, I probably have nothing to say that will change your mind dear hater of Babs so keep on keeping on.

The movie Funny Girl is based on the musical Funny Girl which is based on the life of Fanny Brice, a comedian, singer and actress who starred in the Ziegfield Follies and musicals during the early 1900's. The movie chronicles the rise of Fanny, played by Barbra Streisand in both the musical and film, as well as her romantic, yet tumultuous relationship with Nick Arstein, played by the oh so sexy Omar Sharif. Hummina hummina.

"Ahh haha I am sexy", thinks Omar Sharif/ Nicky Arnstein


As a humongous fan of Barbra and Funny Girl there are a ton of topics I'd love to analyze, but I realize not everyone would enjoy that so I have decided to simply list the 5 REASONS TO LOVE FANNY BRICE while fully acknowledging this really does the character or the movie no justice. Just watch it on your own puh-leaseee!

1. Her confidence, ambition and drive. Like the all too familiar schpeal from those actor sorts, Fanny was shot down repeatedly before she made it as a star. People were telling her she wasn't attractive enough, she'd never make it with those small boobs of hers (actually referenced to as the size of lentils in the movie)! But she keeps going because she knows she is beautiful and talented.

2. Her worship worthy one-liners.

Hands down best line of the movie: "Hello gorgeous (pronounced gaw-geous)!" Listen to it here hello gorgeous

Here are some of my other favorites:

"I'm a bagel on a plate full of onion rolls!"

"If I can't tell when you're ordering roast beef and potatoes, how will I know when you're making advances?" 

"You think beautiful girls are going to stay in style forever? I should say not! Any minute now they're going to be out! Finished! Then it'll be my turn!"

3. Her style! The colors, the fabrics, the textures, the prints, the fur hat and muff! Also, her hair does some pretty gravity defying moves in this movie. And I love it. However, I will come forth and admit that I am not the biggest fan of the length and shape of her fingernails in Funny Girl, a little too claw like for me.



4. Her humor. Barbra as Fanny is a true comedienne in this movie. She has great comedic timing and usually babbles in every situation but it works and you love her for it. Fanny is funny in the haha way. I mean the title of the movie is Funny Girl. It would kind of be the worst if Fanny funny girl was not in fact funny. She is, so whatever the world is alright. Fanny uses her humor as protection throughout the film, but that tactic takes a poignant turn at the end of the movie when (SPOILER ALERT) she has to say goodbye to Nick, her romantic interest, before he heads off to jail. Heartbroken she breaks out in song singing "Funny Girl" crying alone in a room (see video below), don't we all do this or want to do this? That's what musicals are for, to bust out in song at dramatic moments in life.

5. Her voice. It's like buttah. My favorite songs:

People


You Are Woman I Am Man



Don't Rain On My Parade



Funny Girl



I venture to say there might be a little bit of funny girl Fanny Brice in all of us. Or not. Mostly, I just completely relate to her and think "Hey, she's funny, unique and quirky. She makes it big against all odds and gets Mr. Mysterious tall dark and handsome so I'll be alright." Not that it's all about getting the man, hey hey feminism.

I urge you to watch the cinematic event of all time, or at least a really good movie, if you have not already. Funny Girl will inspire you, entertain you and put you in awe of Barbra Streisand's extensive talents. Or do I mean Factory Girl?

P.S. There is a Funny Girl sequel called Funny Lady with another fine fella, James Caan, and even more music and splendor!

No comments:

Post a Comment