Tuesday, July 17, 2012

I'm SO into that

I find myself saying this all the time. And usually the things I am SO into change from week to week, day to day, hour to hour. You get the point. I really love discovering or re-discovering television shows, books, movies, music, food, etc., all the joyful things in life. And so I thought what better place to share these things than on my blog!

"I'm SO into that" is going to be a re-occurring theme on Falling Bottoms. Hopefully people will share some of my new favorite things or learn about cool new stuff because if I like it, it's cool.

1. Inspector Lewis
Inspector Lewis and Hathaway are back in action strolling the streets of idyllic Oxford solving grisly murders. Alas, this isn't your average Law and Order: SUV esque horrifying and disturbing crime show, Lewis and Hathaway are great compassionate guys who really take an interest in the cases they are solving and the witnesses or victims they are working with. Not into PBS Masterpiece Mysteries? I understand that not many 23 year olds watch this British mystery tradition weekly with their parents (I live on the edge baby), but give this particular program a shot. The scenery alone makes it worthy. Also, James Hathaway aka sexy British actor Laurence Fox is indeed a fox.



2. The Daily Beast
This is a fun thing I read, while also serving as a sort of self assigned daily homework goal. I am going to grad school at GW's School of Media and Public Affairs this coming Fall so I find it very important and will soon be finding it imperative to my life to keep up to date with current/political events. It's hard to read the news every damn day, especially because it can get depressing and overwhelming. But we should! The brilliant Alec Baldwin tweeted numerous times (back when he had a twitter, I miss him deeply) that everyone should read a newspaper every day. And I agree, although I fall short of this a lot. The Daily Beast is a great remedy. It's a cool news site that mixes everything from popular culture, current events, politics, fashion, technology and sports together in a nifty little website. Subscribe via email to their "Cheat Sheet" to receive updates on the top news stories for the day to stay in the loop:  http://www.thedailybeast.com/ They've been having plenty of stories on this whole Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise + Scientology divorce deal. Which sort of irks me because I don't find that newsworthy, but obviously I read the stories anyways. 

3. Outlander
Or as I like to refer to it as The Prude's 50 Shades of Grey. Romance, intrigue, the Scottish Highlands in the 18th century and yeah that's really all you need for a good night. I've only read the first book, but am ready to dig into the second and third, compliments of my sister-in-law. Check out this series!

4. Kate Nash Pandora
Throw in some Billy Joel, Elton John, Lily Allen, Lana Del Rey, Melanie Gardot and you've got a delicious music salad in your ears. Mmmm wonderful imagery. 

5. Maroon 5's new album Overexposed
I would date Adam Levine's voice. 




6. Everything Is Sound by Jason Mraz
Jason Mraz is easily my favorite recording artist of all time. He speaks to my soul and a lot of times his music helps keep me sane. This song has been on repeat recently.

7. Etsy
Not new for many people, I know, but for me Etsy opened up a whole new world like Jasmine riding on that carpet with Aladdin. I'm hooked. I already scored on a beautiful LOVE ring and have my eye on some super zen yoga clothing. Apparently Etsy is speaking to my hippie spirit.



8. Podcasts
I think I've mentioned to everyone I know my love of podcasts. I seriously can't believe I didn't tap into this free form of entertainment sooner! My favorites include: The Heatley Cliff (pretty much for girls), Comedy Bang Bang (full of laughs, the episodes with Andy Samberg and Zach Galifianakis are my favorite) and Here's the Thing (with the one and only Alec Baldwin, his voice is chilling).

9. The Book Group
Oh Netflix, the television shows you open up to me are so odd and underground I am convinced that when I am watching them I may actually be the only person in the world doing so in that very moment. Really who knew all of these shows existed and why does Netflix predict all my interests so well? The Book Group centers around a young woman who moves to Scotland totally alone and forms a book club with a bunch of randos in hopes of making friends. She's pretty much the most annoying person ever and super uptight. I find her semi hilarious though. Her mish mash of book club buddies are entertaining as well. Only two seasons long, meaning it shouldn't be too much of an investment like Buffy The Vampire Slayer has turned out to be, in a good way.

10. Kombucha
What is this weird thing I am drinking and how in the hell do I sincerely enjoy it?  A little tangy, a little fizzy and just sweet enough. I love this stuff that is referred to as fungus in other cultures. Um if that doesn't say YUM  I don't know what does!


2 comments:

  1. I love Inspector Lewis! And I really like Poirot, too, if you have Netflix. Not the most fast-paced show but I love all the 30s costumes and setting. I love podcasts, too, but I haven't listened to any of these yet, I'll have to check them out. Thanks, Ally :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh so happy to have another Masterpiece lover. I like Poirot also! He's such a cute little guy. Enjoy the podcast recommendations!

    ReplyDelete