Friday, December 2, 2011

The Albert Memorial

As I've mentioned before, I spent a semester abroad in London during my junior year in college. It was absolutely, without a doubt the grandest adventure of my life. My decision to go to London was the best choice I've made to date.

I am not embellishing when I say I think about London and getting back there somehow everyday of my life.

These are my most recent ideas:
1. Marry Prince Harry

2. Become a professional scone connoisseur/taster, obviously a mecca to London would be imperative to this career track.
Yumo! Scones with clotted cream and jam from The Muffin Man in Kensington. Every bite there is deliciousness.
3. Get a job with Gwyneth at the GOOP office in London

4. Marry Henry Cavill (My friend and I walked past him once in London! What a day. He was in his long hair phase for The Tudors.)

Two out of four of my ideas center on marriage and while Prince Harry and Henry Cavill are both magnificent candidates for my future husband, I can not base my path back to London on a man. Can I get a hoora ladies? 

Looks like I have to make the most difficult choice between devoting my life to pastries or working for Madonna's bff and Chris Martin's wifey. What a choice!

...I think my safest bet is to continue brainstorming.

Today was an especially reminiscent London day because I listened to Adele's Live at the Royal Albert Hall album. Oh. My. God. Well played Adele, you have a voice like butta baby. So there I am sitting in my bed listening to Adele singing her heart out about love and I can hear the audience cheering and doing happy "I'm at an Adele concert" dances. I'm feeling bad for myself. I am wanting to be back in London. Then I got over it and decided to blog about Londy.

I was lucky enough to be located in the oh so posh Kensington area of London while studying at Richmond University. About a block away from my dorm room was Kensington Palace and gardens. This quickly turned into my place. I walked there pretty much everyday I was in London.

You  know how in books and stuff the main character goes on a walk and her feet takes her somewhere without consciously deciding to walk to Dairy Queen per say? Well when I read or heard that I was always like "Bullshit, that doesn't happen." But it does!

Every time I went to Kensington Gardens, I would find myself at the Albert Memorial (right across from the Royal Albert Hall, hey Adele). This monument is breathtaking. It was created by the late Queen Victoria (have you seen The Young Victoria with Emily Blunt? If not, do. I cry from lovey happiness it's so wonderful) for her husband Albert who died of typhoid. She installed a number of monuments around London to showcase her love for her husband.

Sadly, I HAVE NO GOOD PICTURES OF THE MEMORIAL, but google does.

Gasp! Right? To anyone who asks, I say that the Albert Memorial, The National Gallery and The Globe are my top picks in London, in that order.

I remember going to the Albert Memorial on Valentine's Day, let's just say not in the most romantic mood, and I looked at that statue and thought "Blah screw you Valentine's Day. But, at least I am in this most amazing city sitting in a beautiful spot." The Albert Memorial just had that calming effect on me. Then I went out to an Italian dinner with my lovely, gorgeous friends. Aha all was right in the world.

Another yumo



And my London thoughts for today all started with this song:



No comments:

Post a Comment